When conflict arises in the workplace, team effectiveness, morale, productivity and job satisfaction suffer. Managers can spend a significant amount of their valuable time being drawn into disputes and situations of conflict, ranging from subtle underlying tensions, to consistently disruptive or aggressive behaviour. If ignored or mismanaged, the situation can soon escalate; sickness and stress-related absences increase, motivation drops and productivity falls. Unresolved conflict can also escalate in to formal employee grievances and disputes. When this happens, it can be much more difficult for parties to find constructive solutions.
This programme is aimed at providing participants with the knowledge, skills and confidence needed to tackle conflict situations effectively, so avoiding escalation and achieving better, lasting outcomes.
On completion of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Explain why conflict arises and describe the types of conflict they may encounter in the workplace
- Describe the impact conflict can have on team and individual performance
- Identify the early signs of conflict
- Explain their responsibility as managers for identifying and resolving conflict
- Describe the different conflict-handling modes and identify their preferred conflict-handling style
- Describe some of the necessary skills for handling conflict effectively
- Explain when it is appropriate to use mediation services
- Manage conflict situation using appropriate techniques
- Take steps towards improving their competence in conflict handling
- Feel confident in tackling, handling and resolving conflict in the workplace.
This programme uses actor/facilitators both to illustrate handling conflict techniques through the means of an Actors' Theatre Forum and during the practical role-play sessions. The role plays allow participants to practise handling conflict techniques in a safe, supportive environment.
Participants can chose either to use their own examples of conflict situations or to use our pre-prepared scenarios for this session.